Friday, January 7, 2011

The Hunt For Bar-B-Que in Texas

Being new to East Texas, it's a challenge trying to decide what Bar-B-Que restaurants to try and which ones to stay away from. I've gotten individual opinions and started hunting online. One frustrating aspect in this area is the lack of websites by restaurant owners and apparently no newspaper in the area covers entertainment or food.
Therefore, I cannot look at a menu, see pictures of the interior, learn if they offer live entertainment or even get excited about their business. What's up East Texas?! It's the digital age!
Doing a search in Longview, Texas for Bar-B-Que restaurants turns out a plethora of options. The next step is to look at the reviews, right?

This got me thinking about online reviews from the Google location, yelp, city search and the like and how much stock I should put in them.
My thought process goes a little something like this: First, I consider how many reviews an establishment has. Then, how many of those reviews are flat-out negative. Maybe, you're like me, and take into consideration that most people are more likely to go out of their way to complain than they are to compliment and praise.
One business in particular, Shack Daddy's Barbeque, in Longview, Texas, has many mixed reviews with more being super negative then others. I am curious to try this place that has garnered itself the most reviews out of all the barbeque restaurants in Longview. My game plan: order meat, people rave about the ribs. Avoid the sides except for the vinegar coleslaw.
An apparent must stop in Longview, Texas is the flavorful, both in terms of personality and food, is Carter's Bar-B-Que. It's described as being located in an old gas station and is a prefect representation of a southern dive diner. My kind of place! I can't wait to go! According to the reviews, everything is delicious with huge portions for the price.
My next step is to get out there, strap on my bib and enjoy some tasty Texas Barbeque in Longview, Texas. Shack Daddy's sounds risky, but I want to form my own opinion on this place and if it's as unpleasant as some people say, I'll head over to Carter's for what sounds like a sure thing.